[PLUG] eee pc 900 no title/task bars

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:21:07 UTC 2010

My new (to me) pc 900 now boots up with no task or title bars.  The cause is
likely one of two things:  Prior to the last shutdown, I changed the desktop
(via a GUI) from something unique for the eee to "traditional".  This left
me with a mostly familiar screen.  However, the battery was rapidly running
low, and I could not find the shutdown icon in time.  The automatic shutdown
which resulted is the second occurrence which may have triggered the
failure.

The screen shows only the desktop.  The context menu allowed me to create a
folder, then launch the file browser so that I could navigate to
/usr/bin/xterm to launch a terminal window.  The window has no scroll bars
or title bar, is not movable, but I can type in commands.  I have tried
various things found by searching, but nothing seems to work.

I am running Ubuntu (8.04 I believe).  uname -a returns: 2.6.28-11-generic
#43~lp349314 apw5 SMP Tues Apr 21 17:26:20 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Denis