[PLUG] Programs won't launch after going back to nouveau driver

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 26 02:26:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:35:35 -0800
Daniel Hedlund <daniel at digitree.org> dijo:

>On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:17, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>wrote:
>> So I reinstalled mesa-libGL and it recreated the link that I had
>> renamed. WTH? Of course, recreating the link means Fontmatrix is back
>> telling me that it can't find libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21.
>
>Hmm...maybe the nvidia driver registered itself with the
>'alternatives' database.  Check out the /etc/alternatives/ directory
>and see if you the lib* files are listed in there.  If so then you
>might be able to run commands similar to the following to display and
>change where the symlink points:
>$ alternatives --display libGL.so.1
>$ alternatives --config libGL.so.1
>
>When you uninstalled the nvidia drivers, did you just start deleting
>files or did you run 'make uninstall'?  If not then you might try
>downloading NVIDIA's tar.gz file, 'configure' and 'make uninstall' it;
>it might reset the symlinks in the process.

Update:

I discovered more programs that won't launch, and each one gives the
same error message about the missing nvidia file. The total now includes
Fontmatrix, KDE System Monitor (ksysguard), VirtualBox (Oracle),
Avidemux Video Editor, and Mplayer.

Finally I gave up and reinstalled the nVidia driver. I did it from the
rpmfusion repository rather than download it from nvidia.com and
install with their script. However, I did not enable it; I am still
using the nouveau driver. Nevertheless, all the above programs launch
and run normally now.

I suppose I should uninstall the nVidia driver now to see if the above
programs will still launch. But I think I no longer care.