[PLUG] Need mdadm help

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 26 17:50:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:01:28 -0800
drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

>> There are four arrays:
>>        SDA1 and SDB1 - 45 GB EXT3 boot and /
>>        SDA2 and SDB2 - 2 GB swap
>>        SDA3 and SDB3 - 20 GB EXT3 unused
>>        SDA4 and SDB4 - 235 GB EXT3 old data, unneeded
>>
>> 1) For starters, how can I figure out the names I gave the arrays?
>>
>> 2) Once I know the names of the arrays I might be able to figure out
>> how to remove one partition from each array, but how can I figure out
>> which one (between SDA1 and SDB1) has the correct boot information?

>mdadm --query should be able to get you the array name at least if my
>interpretation of the man page is correct. In terms of which device
>has the correct boot information it might be a matter of trail and
>error, if you unplug sdb and works then you know that logically it
>should be sda that has the correct boot information.

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment it is running Mint 10 live, but soon I will reboot to
Ubuntu and give mdadm --query a try.

After I posted that last night I decided to do dist-upgrades to bring
it up to Lucid (was Intrepid). The upgrade to Jaunty went OK, but the
upgrade to Karmic messed up the video driver (nVidia proprietary). At
this point it's so messed up (can't get anything to work except VESA)
that I might just reinstall. Hence why I am running Mint live - distro
shopping.

Normally I hate reinstalls because it takes a week of messing around
getting all my apps put back and things tweaked the way I want them.
But this computer is only for streaming internet radio stations,
watching videos and as a means to get on the internet in case I mess up
my laptop. It doesn't need much more than a stock install.

I'll try a bit more to fix the RAID, but after sleeping on it I've
decided it's not worth a lot of effort.