[PLUG] Strange feature wanted...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Dec 28 11:36:36 UTC 2010

> I can understand the request but you could in theory lock root down or
> create a user who has root like privileges using sudo instead of
> manipulating the system with root itself.
>
> It is an interesting topic nonetheless.
>
> Drew

I've run into a paradox trying to filter Comcast cable residential
service.  I am trying to filter via OpenDNS with multiple categories
selected.  A paradox arises when I need to use the credentials
for an OpenDNS account to realign that account to a different IP
address.  These credentials give me the power to turn filtering
off as well.  So the paradox in a nutshell: lacking the credentials
means no filter in the event of a global IP change whereas
having the credentials means no filter because of the possibility
of turning filtering off.  Concerning the question of have the
credentials or don't have them, there isn't an answer.  Regardless,
I'm potentially not filtered.  If I try to enlist someone else to be
responsible for the credentials, this isn't a good solution.  First
problem, ddclient needs the credentials in a text file unencrypted.
Second problem, any precautions this other person might take to keep
me from learning the password will in theory delay updating of the
relevant OpenDNS account.  Failing to update is equivalent to not
filtering at all.

A Comcast static IP address evidently runs $20/month.  This seems like
highway robbery, but there is no other cable provider that I know of in
Columbia County.  This is a way to solve the problem, but at what cost?

One way to approach this problem is a server that is controlled by
someone else which is responsible for running ddclient 24x7.  This
needs to be a low power server and it probably needs to be no fancier
than a 486.  I say 486 because support of the 386 is rapidly being
dropped.  I also want this server to have a small footprint, I'm
talking less than 1U and not as deep as the typical rack mountable
server.  I'm thinking a 16 gig or 64 gig SSD instead of a hard
drive to improve reliability and reduce both power consumption and
heat production.  If the power consumption is less than 15 watts or
better yet in the milliwatt range, great.  Built in battery backup,
I'm thinking Lithium ION AA batteries, a plus.  The server should run
headless where it makes more sense to access it over network via VNC
than via a local monitor and keyboard.  Anyone have any ideas?