[PLUG] Palimpsest v. e2fsck v. ?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 28 20:23:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:12:56 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:08:55 +1100
>Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> dijo:
>
>>> This is not an urgent matter, but if the drive is really failing I'd
>>> like to know so I can return it to Maxtor for replacement.
>>
>>It absolutely, without question is: every increment of that
>>"Reallocated Sector Count" is another bad sector on the disk.  (My
>>guess is that your fsck failure was another bad sector, unluckily
>>placed, and another format would "fix" it for a while, but there are
>>other causes.)
>>
>>Anyway, the disk is really dying, and the software format is way too
>>high level to ever come close to touching the root of the problems. :)

>Anyway, the web site has a system for generating an RMA form. It almost
>worked too. It turns out that it can't find my combination of model and
>serial numbers. More importantly, it needs a failure code from a
>Seagate diagnostic tool ("SeaTool"). Naturally, there is no Linux
>version of the tool. However, they also offer a bootable CD image with
>SeaTool on it (uses FreeDOS, by the way). I downloaded and burned it
>and am currently running the diagnostics. It passed the "short" test,
>and now I'm 12% (20 minutes) into the "long" test. Doing a little quick
>head math tells me it will take way past my bedtime to finish, so we'll
>see in the morning.

I copied down every word of the log generated by the SeaTools utility
in case I need to send it to Seagate. The relevant parts are the last
three lines:

DST -- FAILED - Unknown
Short DST FAILED	12/28/2010 @ 20:12.13
Long Test PASSED	12/28/2010 @ 20:12.13

I don't know what "DST" means, but I do understand "FAILED."

Now to get hold of Seagate and get the RMA form. Thanks to all for the
advices.