[PLUG] Need help with rdiff-backup

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 2 20:08:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> It could be that the initial installation of Fedora 11 installed an older
> version of python and then I installed 2.6 as an update. I do install all
> updates as soon as the Update Software utility announces them. I don't
> actually recall an update for python, but it could have happened. That
> might have left me with a python that is incompatible with my current
> version of rdiff-backup.

   Or, a version of rdiff-backup that's incompatible with the latest python.
:-)

> This sounds promising, but I can't find setup.py in the rdiff-backup
> folder:
>
> [jjj at Devil8 ~]$ locate rdiff
> /usr/bin/rdiff-backup
> /usr/bin/rdiff-backup-statistics
> /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup
> 	<within this folder are the scripts>

   Hmm-m-m.

> Although I think I have found the folder with the scripts, there is no
> setup.py script. I read through them and there is no other script that
> sounds like its purpose is to install or set up rdiff-backup.

   Should be associated with rdiff-backup.

> If I do "locate setup.py" I get ten different setup.py files. All are in
> subfolders of /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/, and none sound as
> though they have anything to do with rdiff-backup.

   No, you don't want NumPy (that's a numeric package for mathematics using
python).

> I also perused the rdiff-backup web page and wiki, but didn't find
> anything. Most of the questions and answers there relate to really old
> versions of rdiff-backup and python.

   I don't know anything about rdiff-backup, but the error messages you first
reported looked to me like python version issues. Perhaps someone more clued
than I can help.