[PLUG] Facebook & PHP - massive speedup

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Feb 3 04:46:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, drew wymore wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:08:59 -0800
> From: drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help,	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Facebook & PHP - massive speedup
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>>
>>> Funny... don't engineer your software better, instead make your crap
>>> execute faster. Oracle might be interested in this.
>>
>> Isn't that what they did? Engineer the software to execute faster? You
>> make what they did sound like an elementary hack.
>>
>> --
>> m0gely
>>

> I think he's referring to the fact that they're still using PHP which
> plenty of people seem to dislike because it's had so many security
> flaws and because too often newbies just write code without thinking
> of the consequences and open more security holes.
>
> That said, I checked the dev blog post and it does look like it's
> pretty interesting.
>
> Drew-

Thank you, that was exactly where I was going, except I was thinking
about the efficiency of the language, not the n00bs that use it.
Writing a monster website with zillions of users in any interpreted
language seems silly to me. Fixing it by making PHP a compiled
language is one way to solve the problem, I guess. A simpler solution
might have been to translate the codebase to a compiled language. Even
simpler yet would have been to do so a long time ago, or even start
there.

Carlos