[PLUG] Facebook & PHP - massive speedup

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 4 18:52:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Which was true in the 70s, and has no applicability today. Please stop
> perpetuating the myth.

   Er, ... may we disagree about this issue? Many of the python functions in
mathematical libraries such as NumPy and SciPy are re-written in Cython.
Cython produces C code that is compiled to shared libraries for speed of
execution.

   I suspect that we're both correct, Randal, depending on the application.
Those that tend to be I/O bound probably run as quickly when interpreted as
when compiled, but serious number crunching tends to be CPU-bound and
compilation makes a big difference.