[PLUG] Facebook & PHP - massive speedup

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Feb 4 20:37:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, wes wrote:

> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:07:54 -0800
> From: wes <plug at the-wes.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help,	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Facebook & PHP - massive speedup

>> wes> it's not strictly a compiled vs. interpreted issue, but the general
>> rule
>> wes> is that compiled languages are usually able to do the same operations
>> as
>> wes> an interpreted language much faster.
>>
>> Which was true in the 70s, and has no applicability today.  Please
>> stop perpetuating the myth.
>>
>> However, yes, in this case, the WTF is they're still using PHP. :)
>>
>> --
>> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
>>

> I will promise to stop perpetuating the myth as soon as it becomes a myth. I
> did say there are exceptions, but this is still largely the case.
>
> -wes

Absolutely agree with Wes. There are a host of commonly-used
interpreted languages today that are slow because they are
interpreted. BASH, perl, python, ruby, javascript, vbscript. Are more
examples needed? Let's see the list of counterexamples. FB is making
their PHP run faster by compiling it. Why would they do that if the
slowness of their interpreted language, and the benefit gained by
compiling it, is a myth?

Carlos