[PLUG] Tools for Book Length Works

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 5 21:28:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Tim Wescott wrote:

> Do you know to whom I should apply for the Elsevier document classes, and
> whether I want to start using them from day 1 or if I can start my writing
> independently then use their stuff later?

   They come with most LaTeX distributions. Or, they're available via the LyX
web site or mail list.

   Whether to use them from the start is up to you. However, if ultimately
that's the format you want then start with it. The changes from one style to
another are pretty subtle. I used the svmono book style because that's what
Springer-Verlag provides for its monograph books. I use the same style for
other long projects for which the book class is more appropriate (compared
with the report or article classes).

> And one last question: what's the right forum, USENET group or email list
> to look to for help getting spun back up on LaTeX after a 20 year hiatus?

   Rarely do I write LaTeX in emacs because I've found LyX to be so much more
productive. Take the 20-minute tutorial and you'll be well on your way. Just
use any document style to get going. When you want to use the Elsevier
style, it's a simple menu change: Document -> Settings -> Class.

   The lyx mail list is very active and exceptionally helpful. The developers
all participate howto advice comes quickly. I used to follow the USENET
group, comp.text.tex, but found more help with the lyx group.

   I wrote a draft white paper yesterday with LyX and originally used the
KOMA-script article class (all the KOMA script classes are highly
customizable). When I decided to tweak the apparance of the final version
today I changed to the ams-book class (that's the Amerian Mathematical
Society) even though I have no equations in it, reset the page size to US
letter, the margins to 1" top and bottom, 1.25" inside, and 1" outside and
the changes took place immediately cut it down from 11 pages to 8 pages.