[PLUG] Want to build a Linux based PVR...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Feb 5 23:11:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 14:25 -0800, Jim Beckett wrote:
> Michael Robinson wrote:
> > I'm trying option 4, use a network based tuner that is compatible with
> > Linux and Windows and Mac OSX.
> >
> Michael,
>
> I see in the other message thread, I see that you are looking at this
> device:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005
>
> It should work nicely (with some caveats)
>
> If by option 4, you mean to use the (usually feature-limited) playback
> applications that come bundled with the device you purchase (whether it
> is this, or some other device), then that can work, but usually they are
> lacking a lot of functionality, and I was thinking that you might like a
> more full-featured solution, thus the TV/PVR suggestions I mentioned.
>
> If you don't want a full-featured TV/PVR solution, there's nothing wrong
> with that, so forget I mentioned them.
>

> Regardless of what device you end up purchasing, and what application
> you use to view the recorded shows, there are some considerations in the
> channel tuning arena that would be good to bring to your attention, if
> they haven't been discussed already.
>
> Do you plan to tune in free, over the air, channels using an antenna?
>
> Or, do you plan to plug the device into the cable outlet?
>
> Or, do you plan to connect the device directly to the cable box?

I wonder if I can hook up a satellite feed, but in all honesty I'm
after over the air via a rabbit ears antenna.  The encryption
problem with cable is an interesting one, I suppose it limits
what people who are on cable can do.  As far as my play station
II, I might use an old analog television that's available.

Satellite television has been something in the far off future for
a long time.  It is hard to justify the expense, on the other hand,
there are some channels that aren't available over the air.

The play station runs at standard definition so there should be a cheap
device that doesn't act as a PVR but that does allow for a computer
running Linux or Windows 98SE for that matter to put the images on
the screen.  I really don't want to put XP on an old PIII 450.  I
especially don't want to considering that this is a games machine
where some of the games on it require Windows 98SE.  There was a
project to port Red Alert I Command and Conquer to Linux, but it
appears that the project disintegrated.