[PLUG] insufficient disk space error

Randy Stapilus stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
Sat Feb 6 01:49:02 UTC 2010

Getting some error messages and wondering if there's an easy fix.

Dual booting with Windows XP, running the latest Linux Mint on an HP,
1gb/250gb hd. Nowhere close to using up the hard drive.

After reading some earlier posts here about LyX I decided to give it
a try, and tried installing the package. Near the end of the process
(45 inutes or so) I got an error message and it seemed to abort . . .
more or less. LyX is listed among the office software packages, but
nothing happened when I tried to run it.

The more significant issue came up when I then tried running OO
Writer, and tried saving a short text document. Got the message:
"OpenOffice.org could not save important internal formation due to
insufficient free disk space at the following location: /home/[my
home directory]/.openoffice.org/3/user/backup
"You will not be able to continue working with OpenOffice.org without
allocating more free disk space at that location. Press the 'retry'
button after you have allocated more free disk space to retry saving
the data."

Also a few other curiosities, such as reluctance to read or copy
documents from the Windows side that it had previously been working
with just fine.

I guess I'm wondering first of all if there's some sort of system
restore that takes me back to the pre-LyX install period? (The system
had been working fine up until then.) Or what the next best, probably
meaning simplest, option might be?

Randy Stapilus
stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
member, American Society of Journalists & Authors