[PLUG] Sun VirtualBolluxed

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Tue Feb 9 05:33:04 UTC 2010

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:51:31 -0800
> Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> dijo:
>

>> For the very first time I tried the "save machine state" in Sun
>> VirtualBox last week.  This morning I confidently went to open my
>> Windows virtual machine to peek at some past invoices.  I got a little
>> dialog that reported that VirtualBox was "restoring machine state".
>> It duly got to 99% -- then my machine reset, suddenly and without
>> giving Linux a chance to do anything at all.  Fortunately I didn't
>> have anything else running, at least in user space, in either the
>> Windows virtual machine or on my Linux box.
>>
>> Being stubborn, I tried it again.  Same deal.
>>
>> Fortunately again, Sun gives you a way to discard the state of the
>> virtual machine ("warning this is just like giving the virtual machine
>> a hard reset" says Sun -- "well good!", thinks I), and doing so
>> retrieved things to the point where I can get my accounting done.
>>
>> Is this a known problem?  The obvious work-around is "don't do that",
>> but I'm wondering if there's anything I could do differently to make
>> it all better.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of that may be unusual is that the virtual
>> machine was created under the GPL version, but I'm now running Sun's
>> free binary so I can get access to the USB ports.
>>

> I am using the OSE version on Fedora 11 x86_64. (You didn't say which
> distro you have.)
>
> It is working fine here, but I note that the Software Update GUI has
> announced a number of updates for the kernel, for virtualbox, and for
> the tools that virtualbox uses to update itself for kernel updates. All
> these updates have been in the past week.
>
> I can't offer other suggestions, but since there have been some recent
> changes, perhaps they are responsible for your current issues.

Ubuntu (I always forget at least one important detail the first time
around -- that's how you know I've not been replaced by an AI trying to
pass a Turing test).

It may have been there from day 1 -- this is the first, and probably
last for a long while, time that I tried saving the machine state.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services