[PLUG] Sun VirtualBolluxed

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:53:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:33:04 -0800
> Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> dijo:
>
> >> I am using the OSE version on Fedora 11 x86_64. (You didn't say which
> >> distro you have.)
>
> >It may have been there from day 1 -- this is the first, and probably
> >last for a long while, time that I tried saving the machine state.
>
> I don't even know what "saving the machine state" means. When I make a
> backup it includes ~/.virtualbox. That folder contains all my installed
> machines.
>
> In my recent peregrination through various distros I discovered that
> with a new, fresh install of a distro all I had to do was install
> virtualbox, then copy my ~/.virtualbox folder from the previous distro.
> All my machines and configurations were instantly available, the same
> as before.
>
> So if it is a backup you want, all you have to do is make a copy of
> ~/.virtualbox.

"Saving machine state" means saving all the currently running programs, open
windows, etc. to disk, allowing you to quickly resume the machine and get
back to what you were doing later.  This is the same concept as
suspend-to-disk on a regular (non-virtual) computer, where it saves the
current "state" i.e. open programs to disk, then powers down.  VirtualBox
keeps the saved state in another file separate from the virtual disk and
virtual machine config files.