[PLUG] network "make install" ?

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 00:16:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 16:13, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> In an environment of five or six homogenous machines, repeated
> "download, unpack, make, make install" process is time consuming.
> I suppose I should learn to build packages, and it would be a
> little easier.
>
> With just a few machines, though, it would be even easier if
> I could do a "make install" to remote machines, perhaps
> giving this hypothetical tool a list of all the machines I
> want to do the same installation on.
>
> Since I am not as clever as a skilled programmer, I assume this
> desire has already been addressed, and there is an existing
> tool that would be good for this.  Suggestions?

If your machines are well-synchronized in terms of what is installed
upon them, NFS is the tool I've used in the past--you can use it one
of two ways:

1 [preferred in my opinion]) - install everything to /usr/local, and
NFS export /usr/local to all client machines, and you're done.  you'll
have to diddle the makefile paths (hopefully stuff uses configure so
you can just ./configure --prefix=/usr/local instead of editing
stuff...)

2) make your build directory available on nfs at the same path.  build
on one machine, then ssh around and cd /nfshomedir ; make install on
various machines.