[PLUG] let's get momentum for Portland...

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 03:31:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:32:34 -0800
Joe Shisei Niski <joeniski at easystreet.net> dijo:

>Google just made a very interesting announcement.
>
>http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/02/your-new-isp-google-launches-1gbps-fiber-to-the-home-trial.ars

Google's goals are find for now. How much will the fiber be worth when
everyone needs a yottabyte/sec?

Suppose I spend $5,000 to get fiber installed to my house, either
through taxes or a utility charge. But the fiber must be replaced by
some new technology that we haven't thought of yet in 20 years.
That means the installation cost me $250 a year.

I love Google, but they ain't no such a thing as a free lunch.