[PLUG] Top is lying

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 04:32:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:49:15 -0800
drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

>> Are there other tools to sleuth this down? Commands I could use?

>ps -eo pcpu,pid,user,args | sort -k 1 -r | head -10
>
>That'll show you the top 10 processes and who owns them.

[jjj at Devil8 ~]$ ps -eo pcpu,pid,user,args | sort -k 1 -r | head -10
%CPU   PID USER     COMMAND
99.0 25327 root     top
<remainder deleted>

So I killed top, then re-ran the command. It still listed top as 99%.
WTH?

>I just found out just now based on this query to the list about
>something called mpstat which will display each processors utilization
>on the command line.
>
>http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-find-out-linux-cpu-utilization.html

Evidently mpstat, iostat, and sar are not installed and not in the
Fedora 11 repos. I didn't look around to see if I could find an RPM for
them somewhere.