[PLUG] let's get momentum for Portland...

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Feb 12 21:05:32 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> writes:

Russell> This is something that Personal Telco has been working
Russell> on/advocating for a while.  I put in a nomination and pointed
Russell> them at the City people who would be responsible.  And
Russell> frankly, even without a magical benefactor like Google, this
Russell> is something that the citizens of Portland *could* do on
Russell> their own.  It just takes some thought, some demonstration
Russell> projects, and some investment.

A followup for those who want fiber in Portland:

The Personal Telco Project wants open-access fiber-to-the-premises
last-mile infrastructure in Portland. It would be awesome if Google
helped us get that, but even if they don't, really people, this is
something we could be doing for ourselves. We can't sit around and
wait for some magic benefactor to sprinkle pixie dust on us, we should
be taking charge and building the network we want. I want a network
with massive capacity, that lets me own rather than rent it, and that
lets me connect to who I want, how I want. How about you?

If you want to maximize the small-but-nonzero chance that Google will
pick Portland, apparently the best thing you can do is to go to:

  http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options

and nominate our community.  It's kind of like buying a lottery ticket
except it doesn't cost a buck.  If you are on Facebook, you can join
the Google 1gb/sec Fiber Connection for Portland group at:

  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=301059636737

And get and stay active on open-access fiber, whether Google picks us
or not.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net