[PLUG] Resolved, sort of [Was: Re: [NTLUG:Discuss] OT: FiOS auxiliary power for BBU]

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Feb 17 17:48:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net>wrote:

> Thank you all for all the interesting input and links ... the (sort of)
> resolution may be of interest to some ... I shall just pass on the gist
> of what I found, without judgment ...
> (1) APS did indeed make the BBU in question under their Power Shield
> line/group, but they stopped making Power Shield products a while ago
> (according to APS)
> (2) If the auxiliary battery pack is available, it would have to be
> purchased through the broadband provider (according to APS)

Or any authorized distributor of APC products. This place claims to sell it:

http://www.partstore.com/Part/American%20Power%20Conversion/APC/CP20B12BP.aspx

> (3) The auxiliary battery pack is not available (according to Verizon)

No surprise there.

> (4) Reverting from FiOS digital voice (phone) to POTS (coper) voice is
> not possible (according to Verizon)

I imagine this depends on who you talk to at Verizon.

> (5) Batteries Plus sells replacement batteries for the unit, and a
> charger for the battery, too (< $30 for the charger, < $40 for the
> battery, I was told)

If you're ok with the downtime when you're replacing the batteries while the
power is out, this is a perfectly viable option.

> (6) One could of course attempt to become one's own power company
> (generator, solar, etc)
> Thanks again
> Regards
> Fred James