[PLUG] OpenEmbedded follow-up questions.

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Thu Feb 18 22:09:45 UTC 2010

Hello,

I thought I'd answer a few questions that came up at the meeting last
night that I wasn't able to answer on the spot:

Q: Does OpenEmbedded support any devices that don't have an MMU?

I'm not familiar with too many MMU-less architectures, and my grepping
around the machine configurations didn't lead to much. However I don't
see any reason why OE couldn't be used to generate images for devices
without an MMU.

Q: Does OpenEmbedded build bootloaders too?

Yes, in fact I'm seeing many u-boot recipes for various boards in the
repository:

http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/u-boot

Q: Are there any tools for running compile farms for BitBake jobs?

Take a look at icecc, a distributed compile system. There are a few
references to it being used by folks on the OE mailing list.

Q: What makes ipkg so different/better than dpkg for embedded systems?

I think this turned out to be a lot of little things that added up. One
of the main differences is that ipkg's metadata takes up a lot less disk
space than dpkg. Also, dpkg by itself isn't very usable without the
apt-get front end. I may have been playing a bit too fast and loose with
the ipkg vs. dpkg comparisons; ipkg vs. apt-get would be more appropriate.

In other ways ipkg became smaller by removing support for some things
that apt has, such as package signing. That feature loss in particular
created some controversy in the community, and the OpenMoko project
forked it not long ago to create the opkg system, which appears to be on
its way to being adopted by OpenEmbedded.

A co-worker of mine mentioned to me today that ipkg ticked him off when
he learned that it wasn't reporting errors via its exit status
correctly. This made it impossible to use properly within scripts (he
had to parse the output of the command instead, blech). Apparently opkg
resolves this bug as well.

Scott

--
Scott Garman