[PLUG] Restoring the original netbook OS when no media supplied

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 04:03:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Eric House <eehouse at eehouse.org> wrote:
> This is a rant, a warning, and a request for help.  The help part: any
> ideas on how to get Windows 7 Starter onto a netbook for which it's
> licensed without buying a disk?

Buy another identical netbook, image the disk to the other netbook
(bunch of ways to do this), then return the second netbook.  Be sure
to ask if there is a restocking fee or similar.

> As soon as it arrived I installed
> Ubuntu "Netbook Remix".  The installer for that distro doesn't support
> LVM and won't let you install without creating a swap partition, so a
> minimum of two partitions were required.  Samsung's setup used three,
> so I wiped it, figuring I could restore later (after enabling LVM and
> freeing up the swap partition), and moved on.

Just an FYI: one can think about almost all of the *ubuntus as a
minimal Ubuntu Server install plus some desktop.  For example, Kubuntu
is Ubuntu Server + kubuntu-desktop.  Xubuntu is Ubuntu Server +
xubuntu-desktop.  Standard Ubuntu is Ubuntu Server + ubuntu-desktop.
And UNR is Ubuntu Server + mobile-netbook-remix.  So if you want UNR
with LVM, install a minimal Ubuntu Server, partitioning with LVM, and
then use 'sudo tasksel install mobile-netbook-remix'

FWIW, the above is not 100% correct, but close enough for government work.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert