[PLUG] Connecting to Comcast

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 21:36:01 UTC 2010

Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>>> Thanks to everyone who answered...
>>>
>>> I can ping both .com and .net
>>>
>>> I can traceroute both .com and  .net
>>> On traceroute  the last 4/5 hops are ***... Which is probably  OK???
>>>
>>> I am not running  any firewall..  Unless for some reason Firefox
>>> generated one of its own...
>>>
>>> /etc/resolv.conf  is just fine..Everything else works...   Just .net
>>> won't come up in a browser...  And
>>>

>>> This is the error I get with FIrefox.
>>>
>>> #################
>>>

>>> Failed to Connect
>>>

>>> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.comcast.net.
>>>

>>> Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a
>>> connection.
>>>

>>> #####################
>>>

>>> Big surprise  Opera did load comcast.net..
>>>
>>> I can't verify email...But, that looks good
>>>

>>> Seamonkey results below
>>>
>>> ##############
>>>
>>> Failed to Connect
>>>

>>> The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.comcast.net.

>>> Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a
>>> connection.
>>>

>>> ##############
>>>

>>> I am still very confused..
>>>

>>> If anyone wants to see  ping  or traceroute I can post...
>>>

>>> Thanks for the help so far..
>>>
>>> Marvin
A few others you could try that I didn't see mentioned are:

1. Try connecting to comcast.net w. a text based browswer like lynx.
2. Try connectng to comcast.net w. a "buit-in" browser like konqueror or
epiphany. For instance, when I tried Konqueror, I got a message that
only certtain vers of browsers were supported like IE7, IE8, Ffox3,
Safari and not Konqueror. Just some more info that might be helpful...
2. Get the ip addr and put that in the URL locater bar instead of the
text based URL.
3. Clear your browser and dns cache.
4. Telnet to www.comcast.net on port 80: "telnet www.comcast.net 80"
5. I stopped using Firefox plugins because it seemed I was getting mixed
results w. page load times and site functionality.