[PLUG] New Computer

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Feb 24 17:15:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:47:51AM -0800, Tim wrote:

<major snippage>
> Switch to a less resource-intensive window manager (i.e. not Gnome or KDE
> based) and try out a few different browsers.

I hate to disagree, but I did some experiments a couple years ago, and
found that Firefox dominated RAM usage, no matter the desktop environment,
WM, tuning or other things.  Everything else was not that significant.

In engineering terms, Firefox >> Desktop.

In my experience, Chromium uses as much or more RAM than Firefox.

I haven't compared recent WebKit, Konq or Opera browsers.  I should
stabilize an document my testing methodology and run some comparisons.

BTW - if you have > 256MB RAM and a recent Ubuntu, consider allocating
some RAM for Compcache in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf