[PLUG] GIMP: Won't Draw Lines

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Wed Feb 24 22:17:19 UTC 2010

Rich,

>    I'm trying to draw lines on a layer. According to my copy of Akkana Peck's
> GIMP book, to get a straight line, click at one point, move to the next
> point and press the shift key, when satisfied with the second end point,
> click the left button again.
>
>    When I do this, I see the dotted line with the shift key held down, but no
> line is drawn when I click the button the second time. Brush size is not
> affecting the results.
>
>    Has anyone insight into what I'm doing incorrectly with GIMP-2.4.7 here?

I'm no graphics designer, so when I do muck around with the GIMP, I
often run into gotchas like this.

Are you sure you're not editing the wrong layer?  It may be writing to
some background layer while you've got another layer hiding changes on
top.  What about selections?  Sometimes, when you're trying to draw
things, it'll only take effect within the selected area and if you're
outside of it, there'll be no change.

HTH,
tim