[PLUG] Workspace switcher failure

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 1 21:14:04 PST 2010

Workspace switcher in my gnome panel stops responding to selection
mouseclicks from time to time.  I would like to figure out why,
but I don't understand the panel applet process well enough.

RHEL 5.4 clone, 2.6.18 kernel, xorg-x11-server 1.1.1, Gnome 2.16.0.
It fails when I have a lot of Firefox (3.5.5) windows up, and go
to a site with animated content that keeps the processor busy.

Workspace switcher normally responds by displaying the correct
virtual desktop, and coloring the selected window image in the
desktop light blue.  After the failure, it draws the selected
window image in light gray, and does not change the virtual desktop.

I can start up one or two more copies of workplace switcher,
and the new ones work, while the first window shows light blue
for the selected window, but remains otherwise unresponsive.

Right-clicking the original borked switcher brings up the usual
preference menu, and that works, but does not fix the left-click.
It would be nice to debug this.  Suggestions?

Keith