[PLUG] Getting around junk sound card...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Jan 2 19:35:46 PST 2010

I have a motherboard from an old Monorail system with a built in
Monorail 3D Audio sound card.  It is an ISA card supposedly.  I
can't use it under Linux, I turn the card on in the bios and
the next thing I know I'm getting an OOPS message when I try
to load Slackware.  I don't have a dos driver for this sound
card where Monorail may not have made one.

I've looked closely at the mobo thinking I can slip in a compatible
sound card to get around this issue.  No dice.  The board only has
2 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, and 1 ISA slot.  Short of converting this
SCSI based system to an IDE based one or pulling the ISA pcmcia card,
I can't add a compatible sound card.  There are no Linux compatible
pcmcia sound cards supposedly.  I am not sure what will work over
the USB ports.

Is there any chance of a patch to get the onboard sound working?