[PLUG] xorg.conf does not listen to rgb.txt?

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 3 23:16:18 UTC 2010

A very long time ago, I modified the rgb.txt file for my X server of the
time to use some custom colors.  I stopped bothering with it for a long
while, but recently I decided I'd like to set it up again so that my
xterms use a color that is not in my X server's default palette (as far as
I can tell).  So I set it in /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt:

   0   0  63             reallydarkblue

However, my current X server seems to ignore my entry.  The log says my
modified rgb.txt is being read:

  X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
  Release Date: 5 September 2007
  [...snippage...]
  (**) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt"

but when I try to run an xterm with my custom color, I get:

#xterm -bg reallydarkblue &
# Warning: Color name "reallydarkblue" is not defined

As I said, this used to work, a long time ago, with the XFree86 X server.
>From my reading of the docs, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work
now.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks-

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com