[PLUG] VLC remote control

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:31:18 UTC 2010

> It appears VLC has some remote control options, including a telnet-like
> option.  I'm playing with the HTML option, controlling video playback
> via web interface.

Yes, it looks like it would work if you start the command by sitting at the
computer and allowing the alternate interfaces, but I haven't yet been able
to start the program from a ssh terminal and redirect the video to the
attached monitor instead of it being sent to the terminal where I'm typing
the commands.

With the HTML option, can you start VLC using that, or do you have to start
VLC from the local keyboard, with HTTP as an alternate interface? Cause when
I tried it I still had funny stuff going on, and it wouldn't play to the
local monitor, it was trying to stream over the network, which is not what I
wanted.

Thank you,
Erik