[PLUG] VLC remote control

Dwight Hubbard dwight.hubbard at efausol.com
Thu Jan 7 21:34:26 UTC 2010

If you don't need to transcode the video to stream it you might want to try
mplayer.

Since with mplayer you can ssh into the box, set the display to the desired
display and run mplayer.  Mplayer will continue to take control commands via
the ssh session that started it, but will use the display variable to
determine the display that it plays back to.

Here's a session were I played a mpeg on the 42" LCD connected to my mythtv
box and controlled everything via the ssh session from my laptop:

foo at laptop:~$ ssh mythtv
foo at mythtv's password:
Last login: Sun Jan  3 23:29:47 2010 from laptop.foo.com
[foo at mythtv ~]$ export DISPLAY=:0
[foo at mythtv ~]$ mplayer /var/lib/mythtv/videos/red_dwarf/red_dwarf-
better_than_life.mp4