[PLUG] Network failure(s)

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:43:49 UTC 2010

Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> My plan at this point is to leave the computer up to see if it fails
> while running. Also, I am borowing a card to enable more
> troubleshooting, when the trouble occurs.
>
> Any other ideas?

Once you can't ping the upstream modem, see if the interface is still up,
has a valid ip address, a routing table, and an arp entry for the modem
if it's directly connected. What I'd be trying to determine is whether it's
a NIC hw faiure, OS, or TCP/IP stack bug.

Rather than me regurgitating all the commands for this, take a look at
this page.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch04_:_Simple_Network_Troubleshooting