[PLUG] Network failure(s)

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:17:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> My goal is to blame the NIC, the cable, or the modem.  What else
>> should be on this list?
> Software! Which could be the driver or tcp/ip stack itself...
> See if there's a newer or alternative drivers out there for your NIC.

Yes, I should add SW to the list.  But the network has not failed in 4
boot cycles, so I am just accumulating data from a functioning system
to use if/when failure rears its ugly head again.

My LAN is on the MB (ASUS M3N78-VM).  The manual says it is an "NVIDIA
nForce built-in gigabit MAC with external Realtek8211CL-GR PHY"
lspci lists: Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce
8200] Ethernet (rev a2)

I have yet found out if there is a newer driver, although there have
been reports of some users having network problems with this MB, but
only with Windows and OpenSolaris.

-Denis