[PLUG] MFC Printer

Larry Williams larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Mon Jan 11 03:22:50 UTC 2010

Sean Whitney wrote:
> 3.  I am looking for a fully functional MFC printer (fax, copy, scan,
> memory card reader, color print (photo's too))  Is there any models I
> should stay away from?

I would stay away from Brother MFC until after you have thoroughly
researched them.  I had one and just after the warranty expired, so did
the print head.  Seems it was a common problem and fixing it meant
shipping back to Brother, on your dime.  Even while it was working I
found its unalterable print head cleaning schedule tended to use up a
lot of ink.

A few weeks ago I picked up a Lexmark X1240 from Goodwill.  It uses the
Z600 drivers (instructions are online) and does well as a printer and
scanner, though it doesn't have Ethernet.  While not explicitly
supported, I can't complain for the price.