[PLUG] MFC Printer

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Mon Jan 11 02:40:12 UTC 2010

Sean Whitney wrote:
> I seem to be in the market for a new inkjet MFC printer.  One with a
> Ethernet port.  It will be a supplemental printer to my trusty HP
> LaserJet 4000N.
>
> If anyone has any recent knowledge about the state of inkjets and Linux
> I'm all ears.
>
> 1.  What is the difference between an inkjet and a thermal inkjet?  Is
> one better than the other?
>

> 2.  Which brands work well with Linux?  I've had great luck with HP in
> the past, but I'm interested in the Epson and Canon offerings as well.
>

> 3.  I am looking for a fully functional MFC printer (fax, copy, scan,
> memory card reader, color print (photo's too))  Is there any models I
> should stay away from?
>
> Sean

Sean Whitney
I am running an HP Officejet 7310 without any real complaints - and I
have faxed, scanned, loaded photos from a camera memory card, copied,
and printed with it.
I run Mandriva 2008 with the HP device managers, using TCP/IP having
assigned the printer a static IP on my private address LAN (at home).
My other printer is an HP Laserjet 4M+, also working well, but not using
the HP device manager.
Hope this helps
Regards
Fred James

PS:  I had an HP Officejet 155xi before that - also worked well, but it
finally died.