[PLUG] MFC Printer

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Mon Jan 11 08:39:32 PST 2010

On 01/10/2010 05:19 PM, Sean Whitney wrote:
> I seem to be in the market for a new inkjet MFC printer.  One with a
> Ethernet port.  It will be a supplemental printer to my trusty HP
> LaserJet 4000N.
>
> If anyone has any recent knowledge about the state of inkjets and Linux
> I'm all ears.
>
> 1.  What is the difference between an inkjet and a thermal inkjet?  Is
> one better than the other?
>

> 2.  Which brands work well with Linux?  I've had great luck with HP in
> the past, but I'm interested in the Epson and Canon offerings as well.
>

> 3.  I am looking for a fully functional MFC printer (fax, copy, scan,
> memory card reader, color print (photo's too))  Is there any models I
> should stay away from?

i had an HP OfficeJet 6120 (fax, copy, scan), and it worked great with
Ubuntu - i really liked the ease of double-sided printing, and it seemed
like a great value until the paper-handling went bonkers. Now i get
random and persistent "paper jam" and "cover open" errrors when
everything should be fine, and when i can print/copy/fax the paper jams
horribly after a random number of pages less than 5.

Actually, i still have it, but it's going back into the box, as my wife
has an older, larger 6110 that sill works like a dream (as long as we
don't use recycled cartridges).

i researched the paper-handling problem on line a bit, saw similar
comlaints but no solutions. Can anyone recommend a local repair shop?

Joe