[PLUG] MFC Printer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 11:14:04 PST 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:07:34 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, drew wymore wrote:
>
>> Could be division dependent thing Denis. HP actively supports the
>> HPLIP project as I understand it,
>
>   Not to flog a deceased equine, but this goes only so far. I found
> that
>HPLIP has native support for the LJ5M and one other LJ5 variant, but
>not for the basic LJ5. A conversation with one of the HPLIP folks on
>this list revealed that he had no idea why not. This means that HPLIP,
>at least the version in Slackware-11.2 and -12.0, would not work with
>my LJ5, even when I tried telling the tool it was a 5M. Annoying and
>irrational, and apparently no one but me interested in seeing such
>support in HPLIP.

It bears mentioning that HP's printer division does not manufacture the
printers that they sell. Most lasers are made by Canon, although I
think some of the recent models are from Okidata. I think Okidata also
makes most of their inkjets, but I've less familiar with those.

The older Canon lasers are indestructible. And HP sold gazillions of
them, so after-market parts and recycled stuff is available cheaply.

When I added a recommendation for the Printer Place in SE Portland I
should have added a couple other places:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

and

http://www.printerworks.com/