[PLUG] MFC Printer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 11 22:15:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Odd.  The LJ5M is Postscript, so it doesn't need any rendering drivers
> (i.e. HPLIP), just a PPD.  The LJ5 would be where HPLIP might come into
> play, but it's a standard PCL5e printer, with lots of driver support.

Aaron,

   I have the PS module installed in the printer (along with a JetDirect card
and an additional 8M of RAM). I was trying to get HPLIP to work with it
since that replaced the Easy Software drivers.

   The only issues I now have with printing are:

   1) From Firefox I cannot directly print a page. I must print to file then
print that file. It's probably a CUPS thingie but I've no figured out what
is causing this problem.

   2) For the current and recent past CUPS versions, I need to feed paper
upside down and backwards (i.e., feet first and on its belly) when I use the
front tray. This is how I print checks and other forms, and it went from
face up/head first to face down/feet first. Shrug. Annoying but I've learned
to live with it.

   3) OpenOffice.org's Writer no longer prints envelopes for me. The print
preview displays correctly, but the envelope passes through the printer
unmarked and the display tells me the incorrect page size is specified. It
used to work. Current OO.o version is 3.1.1; I don't recall when envelope
printing broke because I don't do it that frequently.

   It would be nice to resolve these glitches, particularly the last one. I
need to get on the OO.o mail list and ask for help there.