[PLUG] I bought an iBook

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:38:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM, m0gely <mgill at canbyfoursquare.com> wrote:

> Mel Andres wrote:
> > Still on a bit of a learning curve. Have any of you also partaken of the
> > forbidden fruit?
> >
> > I have a trial version of Parallels. I was able to install XP in a
> > virtual machine, but like what's the point? Using my Debian Lenny
> > install disk, to create a second vm. I am finding that it hangs shortly
> > after asking for the repository  link.
> >
> > There are Mac specific user groups, for a fee. So, I thought I would ask
> > for suggestions here first.
>
> Did you try the Parallels forum?
>
> http://forum.parallels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=505
>
> Also, I second Virtual box. The current version is great. You're running
> on really old hardware to be doing virtualization though. What iBook is
> this specifically?
>
> --
> m0gely

Another vote for VirtualBox, though it would depend on the generation of
hardware you are using.
If you have a fairly recent G4 iBook with enough RAM (1GB say) VB will be
fine.
However if you are using an older G3 iBook with 256-512MB RAM, that would
choke on running the native OS + VB.

Depending on what you want to do with it, it might make more sense to leave
the M$ beast off your Mac and just run native Linux (or OS X).

I myself run (or have run) Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian on several older Macs:
-G3 Powerbook, 400mhz, 384MB RAM, Ubuntu
-G3 Powerbook, 333mhz, 256MB RAM, Debian
-G4 Powerbook, 1Ghz, 1GB RAM, dual boot OS X 10.5 and Ubuntu

The Debian and Fedora PPC ports are still officially supported, and the
Ubuntu PPC port is now "community" supported.
Taking the virtualization issue aside for a moment, these older Macs run
Linux natively quite well.