[PLUG] I bought an iBook

Vincent L. Damewood vincent.leo.damewood at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:54:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Mel Andres <mel97215 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Still on a bit of a learning curve. Have any of you also partaken of the
> forbidden fruit?

Yes. Lots of us (maybe not the majority, but still quite a few) like
the Unix goodness of OS X.

> I have a trial version of Parallels. I was able to install XP in a
> virtual machine, but like what's the point? Using my Debian Lenny
> install disk, to create a second vm. I am finding that it hangs shortly
> after asking for the repository  link.

I'm not sure about Parallels (I'm a VMware user, and have otherwise
only used VirtualBox and Virtual PC), but most virtualization packages
out there allow you to increase the amount of RAM the virtual machine
has. Have you tried increasing the amount of RAM? This often fixes
issues with hanging virtual machines.

I'd also suggest you try out different virtualization solutions. A
classmate of mine used VirtualBox on his iBook and he's quite
satisfied with it. One great advantage of VirtualBox is that it's
free. I've used VMware Workstation for a while (on Linux), and I'm
satisfied with it. You might want to give VMware Fusion--their Mac
version--a try.