[PLUG] Looking for sys admin

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Mon Jan 18 01:40:33 UTC 2010

Dwight Hubbard wrote:
> I think it's an interesting idea, but I would be concerned about the small
> number of less than scrupulous recruiters posting a bunch of crap that would
> make it nearly useless for it's intended use.  Like nearly every job and
> resume site on the net.

Personally I would never post my resume online. My LinkedIn profile has
a summary of my background and experience, but that's as far as I would go.

I'm not sure if there are any laws against this in Oregon, but where I'm
from I've heard of a couple of cases where the following scenario has
occurred:

1. Recruiter is authorized to head-hunt for a job opening at a company,
usually in a non-exclusive manner (i.e, the company is also accepting
candidates directly).

2. The unscrupulous recruiter posts a fake job ad on various sites (on
Craigslist this is the easiest) collecting resumes of people likely to
apply for aforementioned job.

3. Now if one of those people who gave the recruiter their resume gets
the job by applying directly for it, the recruiter claims that the
candidate and/or employer was trying to circumvent the recruiter to
avoid paying the finder's fee.

Clearly this is fraudulent behavior, but that doesn't help you if you
get caught up in the mess.

The best way to avoid it is to never submit your resume if you don't
know where it's going. Craigslist postings that don't mention the
company name are red flags to be avoided in particular.

I apologize if this post is a bit too off-topic.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
sgarman at zenlinux dot com