[PLUG] Winmodem and VirtualBox?

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Mon Jan 18 19:58:07 UTC 2010

Scott Garman wrote:

>>> Which distro are you using as your host OS? On some older versions of
>>> Ubuntu I've had to follow an online guide to get usbfs set up correctly.
>>> Here is one such guide:
>>>
>>> http://www.arsgeek.com/2007/10/24/get-usb-devices-mounted-on-your-virtualbox-xp-machine-in-gutsy-ubuntu-710/
>>>
>>> This is pretty dated but it may offer the clues you need.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>

>> Karmic, but as far as I know the modem is on the PCI bus, not USB --
>> should I be looking at the USB bus anyway?
>>

> Sorry, I thought from your original post that the modem was USB-based.
> You shouldn't need to do anything with usbfs to make it work if it's a
> PCI card.
>
> Scott

I double-checked, and it doesn't show up on the USB bus.

It also isn't visible to the modem software driver disk that came with
the machine (grr).

Argh.  Maybe I just need to go buy a real modem; I've been trying to
avoid that, as it (a) costs money, and (b) seems like getting one that
supports faxing will be a pain.

grr^2

--
Tim Wescott