[PLUG] Recommended wifi router for OpenWRT?

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed Jan 20 00:04:04 UTC 2010

On 01/19/2010 03:55 PM, m0gely wrote:
> Scott Garman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to pick up a wifi router that I can run the latest release of
>> OpenWRT on, which has plenty of flash space for experimentation. Can
>> someone suggest a specific model and hardware version for me to look at?
>> If it's currently available on NewEgg for under $125, I would find that
>> to be ideal.
>
> What does "plenty" mean? Do you want 802.11n? The classic answer here is
> the WRT54GL. Or the WRT320N maybe? This is for DD though. I don't use
> OpenWRT.

Plenty just means I'd prefer not to buy a router model that is
especially anemic when it comes to available disk space. I'm not exactly
sure yet what I will be running on it, but I'd like as much flexibility
as possible.

In my cursory Google searches on this topic it appears that not all
hardware revisions of the WRT54GL have the same processor and work with
OpenWRT. Is that true?

Scott

--
Scott Garman