[PLUG] Network issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:54:42 UTC 2010

 My network problem continues. Here is as concise a description as I can muster:

1) New PK5000 Quest DSL router cabled to my desktop, my only computer.
2) Typically I power both the router and the desktop down and up a few
times a day.
3) Failure means that pings to the router at 192.168.0.1 go unanswered.
4) Failure has thus-far occurred only at boot.  Once it fails, it
stays failed until reboot.  Once it works, it stays working until
perhaps the next boot.
5) Failures are random.  The last full run of non-failures was 10 days.
6) Power-cycling the modem does not fix the problem. In fact, this
morning after a boot which produced a failure I shut down the
computer, powered off the desktop (switch on tower) for 10 minutes
with the modem continuosly powered, rebooted and the network
functioned.
7) I have run nmap -sU, ethtool eth0, route -n, arp -v, ethtool -S
eth0, and perhaps some others. The only observation I can report is
that when the network is up ethtool eth0 has an entry "1000baseT/Full"
under "Advertised link modes" that is absent when the network is down.

I conclude that item 6) absolves the router. Does 7) mean anything?

Any suggestions for further diagnostics? My intention at present is to
repeatedly reboot at the next failure without interupting the power
until either the network comes up, or I become convinced that it is
not going to ever come up.  If the network comes up, then the power
cycling becomes a red herring.  If not, then...

-Denis