[PLUG] Network issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:40:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Denis Heidtmann
> <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:43 PM, jen montserrat
>> <jen.montserrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Have you tried using another patch cable, just to rule out the possibility
>>> of it being the network cable?  If this is a wireless interface, please
>>> ignore this post
>>
>> I have tried two different cables.  I intend to try a third when the
>> failure occurs again.
>>
>> -Denis
>>

> Denis,
> It isn't entirely a surprise that mii-tool fails because I haven't
> used it in years, I wasn't sure what support it might have or not have
> with gigabit interfaces, worth a shot though.
>
> That said, Mike offered some good suggestions and it looks like the
> interface does come up and has an IP which leads me to believe perhaps
> it's a route issue. When it fails can you run /sbin/route -a (I
> believe that's the correct flag, someone correct me if I'm wrong). And
> post to the list so we can take a gander at it.
>
> Thanks,
> Drew-

Keith had suggested route -n earlier, so I tried it:
When network is broken or functioning it is the same:
parents at R2D4:~$ sudo route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 eth0

I will look into the man pages to see if another option would be better.

-Denis