[PLUG] Network issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:38:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are seeing the list of negotiation rates drop in failed mode
> then to be able to
> check this while the system is up will require the network to be down
> and at least the associated
> network driver for the card to be rmmod to allow the driver
> initialization to be done again.
>
> To figure out the driver for the card look for eth0 in /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> This is a nice place for a one off script to do the down up test loop.

/etc/modprobe.conf does not exist.  The man page says to look in all
the files in /etc/modprobe.d  There are no eth0 entries in any of
those files.  modprobe -c | grep eth0 comes up empty.

I had previously posted this:
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200]
Ethernet (rev a2)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82f2
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 2300
	Memory at fcf7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
	Memory at fcf7f400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Memory at fcf7f000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/4 Enable+
	Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed+
	Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
	Kernel modules: forcedeth

This tells me the driver name.  It is not clear to me what to do with
this information.

-Denis