[PLUG] PLUG web site - info needs updating

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 22 01:03:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:45:34PM -0800, Larry Brigman wrote:
> Why does the bottom of the page have PLUG web page have such an old
> next meeting date on it?
>
> Also the Advanced Topics meeting place is currently wrong.
>
> Can we get that corrected?

Aaron Burt has volunteered to work with Wil Cooley (who hosts the
site) to finish setting up the moinmoin wiki, and make the front
page of the wiki the front page of pdxlinux.org .  After that
happens,  "we" can get that up to date if everybody pitches in
to clean up spam, keep meeting notices current, and add content
to the other pages.

When that happy day arrives, I hope you will be one of the "we".

In the interim, I hope we can have a fruitful discussion on the
list about how we would treat the wiki, what would be out of
bounds, etc.  Some are skeptical about the value of a wiki, and
whether it will turn into a dumping ground for off-topic church
or political announcements, or even semi-on-topic arguments like
distro or editor wars..  If we want the privilege of keeping the
site up to date, we should agree on how to treat the site and
each other.

Another way to contribute, that will help when the time comes,
is to design a set of text captcha question/answer pairs to foil
spam robots.  Two examples:  my own moinmoin wikis ask questions
about generally known time and space questions, like "how many
seconds in an hour".  Michael Rassmussen's wiki asks "when is a
good time to ride a bicycle";  his right answer is an opinion
somewhat broader than mine.  Within that range is a set of
questions that will foil a non-context-parsing robot, but will
be answerable by most somewhat literate english speakers.

Keith