[PLUG] todays supreme court decision.

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Fri Jan 22 05:21:22 UTC 2010

Erik Lane wrote:
>> Before you move your content offshore, move this thread to plug-talk.
>>
>> Why would there be a need to move offshore?
>> Political speech is now in the market to the highest bidder, no
>> restrictions
>> remain.
>>

> But what if the highest bidder disapproves of what you have to say? What if
> they use their influence to shut you down?
>
> Heck, they'd probably never notice me, but I don't like that they are being
> given more rights. Corporations are not people, and should not pretend to
> be.
>
> Erik

One should not fall for the pretense that corporations are "people" and
thus have rights (and also no liability, eh?) ... think of corporations
as a kind of "shell company" - a ruse to shield specific people.
Originally it was to protect the wealth and property of the individual
investors from any liability incurred by the corporation.  But of course
with the help of lawyers and "for hire" politicians and judges and
assorted thugs, over time those privileges have expanded, but not the
liabilities, duties, or responsibilities.  What is really at issue is
the money vote - more money, more vote - and corporations are the
current popular shell to hide behind when voting for anything
particularly nasty.  Corporations don't do anything - the people behind
them do.
Regards
Fred James