[PLUG] LInux Clinic and you avg P-town computer user?

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:20:37 PST 2010

Dwight Hubbard wrote:
> So what kind of firewalls are those M$ companies putting in?  Most of the time it's a Linux system pre-configured to act as a firewall.  The same is true for wifi routers, vpn servers, virtualization servers, vpn gateways, heck evensome of the printers are actually Linux servers.

Okay, so some clarification is in order I think. With the exception of
print servers I've never seen any of those appliances/devices powered by
M$ software. Pretty much any network oriented appliance runs Linux/Unix
but it's under the covers. It doesn't say "Linux inside". It says Cisco,
Juniper, Checkpoint. And you don't have to actually know *nix to work on
them.

I'm talking about in the server room and on the desktop. I'm talking
about people knowing which version of Linux is running on all their
computer systems. Why is is that computer stuff has Intel, MS, ATI, and
other logos all over it but you rarely see a Tux, Beastie, or GNU mascot
logo?

In most cases you have to actually get to the command line to find out
which *nix is running the thing.