[PLUG] LInux Clinic and you avg P-town computer user?

Michael Moore moore.michael.m at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:40:54 UTC 2010

On 1/22/10, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have also discovered that it's usually a hard sell. I have had much
> better luck by getting them to install OOo on their Windows or Mac
> computer first. It's a baby step that gets them thinking about the
> benefits of FOSS.

That was, more or less, my entry into using Linux.  There's no
particular reason I needed to use Linux and still isn't.  But over
time, I started using more and more FOSS, for important and trivial
functions, and found it worked well, usually better than the
commercial or free/share-ware I had used previously.  So I got into
the habit of seeking out FOSS options deliberately, and went so far as
to purge all non-MS closed-source apps from my Windows system.  From
there, deciding I may as well try an open-source OS was a relatively
small (since most apps I was using by that point were cross-platform*)
and logical step.

Michael M.

*The hardest things to give up were XNews (free-as-in-beer Windows
newsreader) and foobar2000 (FOSS but Windows only).