[PLUG] Need Help Editing Grub

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Jan 24 21:42:54 UTC 2010

I have two ide drives in one machine - drive 1 is a Windows drive and drive
2 is a Linux drive. Using grub, I can boot into either windows or debian. I
want to remove the windows drive and replace it with a larger, blank drive
for backup storage. I have a feeling if I just remove the first drive and
put the new one there, the machine will not boot, since the MBR is probably
on the first drive (it came with the machine, and I just added the second
drive for Linux). My questions:

1. How do I change grub on the Linux drive (hdb) to say "the windows drive
is dead, boot here instead, long live linux"?

2. Do I move the second drive to the first ide port, or leave it as the
second ide drive and put the new drive in the fist ide port?

Thanks!

Mark