[PLUG] Network issues

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 01:55:56 UTC 2010

Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> The connection has not had a failure for some days now (many shutdowns
> and reboots, but no interruption of power to the modem or the
> computer), even though renegotiation is likely happening often.  Also,
> when failure occurs the only thing which appears to fix it is to shut
> down and power down the computer.  I conclude from this that most
> likely the NIC occasionally gets into a bad state during power-up.
I have a GigE NIC on my T60 and was curious what ethtool would report
when I connected it up to to  a Linksys WRT56G router.

Ethtool did report "link partner" info, which was interesting because my
NIC was advertising auto-neg but the Linksys is not.

~# ethtool eth0
Settings for
eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP
]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half
10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1